Top 15 Free Development Tools (2023)
We often search for resources to aid in progress while working on development tasks. When searching for online tools, the characteristics that make them unique from the competition and their price information are the first things we check for. Those that are affordable help in delivering successful outcomes for your project and by using the them effectively, a developer may easily keep the project's workflow in place.
Several of these tools have been built to help developers on their journey of writing complex code, hosting websites easily, learning and gathering correct information and developing creative websites. Listed below are a few options that can be helpful.
- Website Development / CMS
- Coding Applications
- Repository Hosting Services
- Community Platforms
- Information Center
Let's take a closer look at each of them.
Website Development Tools / CMS
A content management system, or CMS for short, is software that enables non-technical individuals to easily generate, manage, and alter content for websites.
A website development tool, is a program that makes it possible to create a website without having to start from beginning with the coding (or even know how to code at all).
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system built in HTML and linked with a MySQL or MariaDB database that supports HTTPS. A plugin architecture and a template system, referred to as "Themes" within WordPress, are among the features. The free edition is enough for creating websites while providing access to several themes.
- Provides free users with WordPress.com Subdomain
- Has seamless Jetpack Essential Features
- Free version comes with a pre‑installed SSL Certificate
- Great community support
- Access to dozens of amazing free themes
- Basic Design Customization
- 1 GB Storage Space
- The premium version starts at $8 per person/month.
Drupal is a part of content management software and is completely free and open source. It is used in the creation of many of the websites and apps we use every day. It stands out for being adaptable, and one of its driving ideas is simplicity. Your ability to produce the flexible, structured content necessary for dynamic web experiences is supported by its capabilities.
It is also an excellent alternative for developing integrated digital frameworks. You may customize it with thousands of add-ons. Drupal's functionality is enhanced through modules and themes which allows you to change the layout. Distributions/templates are pre-packaged Drupal bundles that may be used as starting points.
- With its built-in security measures, it secures and protects the user.
- Even when the application is under strain, it provides excellent functioning.
- Allows for the smooth translation of many languages.
- Amazing accessibility options enable your content to reach a large audience.
- Audience personalization is a special function that allows you to customize your reach.
- Integrate a varied yet streamlined multichannel communications environment.
- Decouple your front-end and back-end to scale content across silos.
- Allows you to transform client data into one-to-one personalized experiences.
Joomla! is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) used for web content publication. Joomla! has received several recognitions throughout the years. It is based on a model-view-controller web application framework that can be used independently of the CMS to create sophisticated online applications.
Joomla! is one of the most popular websites software due to its global community of developers and volunteers that ensure that the platform is user pleasant, expandable, multilingual, accessible, responsive, search engine optimized, and much more.
- A versatile system that is simple to extend and customize.
- Out-of-the-box search engine optimization
- Open-Source software is perpetually free.
- Development that is security sensitive and has a proven record of accomplishment
- Joomla! understands your language.
- As your needs change, it grows naturally.
- Create sophisticated PHP apps.
Coding apps, often known as code editors, are mostly free open-source tools that let developers generate and execute code in a programming environment so that it may be easily edited and debugged. The majority of these best code editors are free; you do not need to buy any pricey licenses or anything to begin working on them. Simply download the software and evaluate whether it meets your needs. For some, you can upgrade to premium software for yourself or the firm you work for.
The Visual Studio IDE (integrated development environment) is a programming environment that allows developers to write and edit code. Its user interface is used to edit, debug, and build code in software development. Visual Studio comes with a code editor that supports IntelliSense (the code completion part) and code refactoring. The integrated debugger functions as both a source-level and a machine-level debugger. A code profiler, designer for creating GUI apps, web designer, class designer, and database schema designer are all included.
- The simple interface helps you to explore, create, and fix code quickly.
- Flexible debugging and profiling are simplified.
- With thorough testing tools, you can build high-quality code.
- Make use of version control, be nimble, and cooperate effectively.
- Select from thousands of addons to personalize your IDE.
- Professional Pack is $45 per month.
Notepad++ comes in handy if you need to make substantial changes to a text file.
- Text files up to 2 GB in size can be edited (the maximum size in Windows Notepad is 58 MB).
- Edit several files in tabbed mode.
- Highlighting syntax for more than 70 computer languages, including HTML and Windows batch files.
- Advanced find and replace with regular expression support.
- Text files may be created and edited for a variety of operating systems, including macOS and Linux.
- Split-screen editing and viewing of several files or sections of the same file.
- Macros are used to record a series of editing commands that will be run often.
- Line bookmarks are supported.
- A mechanism for adding functionality to software via plugins.
Sublime Text is one of the world's most popular text editors. It includes multi-line editing, build systems for dozens of programming languages, regex search and replace, a Python API for writing plugins, and much more.
It is also cross-platform (Mac, Windows, and Linux) and released as "shareware," which means it is free to use with an occasional buy pop-up.
- Sublime Text features a robust plugin ecosystem that may be accessible using the integrated package management.
- It also includes multi-line editing.
- Displays how the file and project management features may help you arrange your information.
- Has an effective search and replace implementation.
- It allows split windows for viewing and editing several files at the same time.
- Sublime Text has built system support.
- You may improve your coding experience even further by installing a Sublime Text theme.
Repository Hosting Services
A repository hosting service is a tool for organizational administration that grants access to the software development workflow process, which has a history of being secretive. It also helps you to store and share your development projects. Tools for assessing, monitoring, debating, and controlling the effectiveness and accuracy of software development will be offered by a decent repository hosting service.
To create a cohesive corporate communication network, a repository hosting service should work with other management tools including task management, customer relationship management, and support ticket management solutions.
An online service for hosting Git repositories is provided by the for-profit firm GitHub. It makes it simpler for both individuals and teams to use Git for collaboration and version control.
Because of GitHub's user-friendly design, even newbie programmers may receive help from Git. Without GitHub, using Git often needs a little more command-line experience and technical knowledge.
However, because GitHub is so user-friendly, some individuals even use it to handle various kinds of projects, including authoring books.
- Collaborative Coding
- GitHub Copilot
- Pull requests
- Code search & code view
- Code review
- Code review assignments.
Glitch is a browser-based collaborative programming environment that executes code as you type. You can create anything with Glitch, from a basic website to full-stack Node apps.
Glitch is an excellent approach to share your solutions if you are working on a problem that many people are facing. Using Glitch enables you to provide other programmers with a quick, enjoyable onramp, regardless of whether you are connecting with an API, highlighting a modern technology, or simply showing off an innovative approach to construct the web.
- It makes it just as simple as using Google Docs to invite friends to collaborate with you on public or private projects.
- By enabling you to import projects from GitHub, Glitch makes it simple to get started on your new apps.
- Your computer is automatically reconfigured, and no deployment preparation is needed.
- You may change any publicly available Glitch app using the "remix" feature.
- You may effortlessly share a group of applications with a friend or coworker using the playlist option.
AWS CodeCommit is a managed source control solution that is safe, scalable, and makes it simpler for teams to work together on code. You no longer must manage your own source control system or be concerned about growing its infrastructure thanks to AWS CodeCommit. AWS CodeCommit integrates smoothly with your current Git tools and may be used to save anything from code to binary files.
Software developers that want a safe, dependable, and scalable source control solution to save and version their code can receive help from AWS CodeCommit. Additionally, anyone searching for a user-friendly, fully managed, version-controlled data repository can use AWS CodeCommit. IT managers, for instance, may store their scripts and setups using AWS CodeCommit. AWS CodeCommit may be used by web designers to save HTML pages and photos.
- Software development teams may collaborate with AWS codecommit.
- Depending on your preference, you may use HTTPS or SSH to send and receive files.
- Controls and keeps track of who has access to your data, how, when
- Permits you to request up to 25,000 more repositories in addition to the 1,000 repositories that are available by default.
- To manage your repositories
- Now, you may get alerts when something happens that affects your repositories.
For the development of anything, collaboration is essential. One such tool that individuals or groups may use to interact and connect with members all around the world is a community platform. It also helps the community perceive involvement and development.
A question-and-answer website called Stack Overflow brings together computer programmers from all around the world.
The website acts as a clearinghouse for data about computer programming. The software fault that happens when a program runs out of memory inspired the name of the error. Collaboration, problem-solving, and information exchange between people, groups, and corporations are made easier by Stack Overflow.
- Ask questions and receive thorough, useful responses
- Finding questions and answers is made simple with tags and filters.
- computer programming communities that share information
- No spam or adverts
- Voting process to encourage truthful responses
- intelligent players who respond quickly
You may exchange audio, video, and text chat with friends, gaming groups, and developers with the free communication software Discord. It is one of the most widely used platforms for interacting with people online, with hundreds of millions of users. Every common operating system and device, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, iPadOS, Android, and web browsers, may be used with Discord.
- Gives users the option to create and join servers depending on their interests.
- There are no type restrictions on servers.
- Absolutely no cost to use
- Available as a mobile app, a mac, and a window
- Access to as many servers as you like at no added cost
Reddit is a forum-meets-modern social network combination. Like separate forum websites, subreddits let you engage in everything with a single account, like a social network.
Reddit's algorithm, which decides how popular items are shown on the homepage and in subreddits, is another significant differentiator. Furthermore, downvoted information is exposed to less people.
Reddit's algorithm relies on votes rather than complex algorithmic methods to rank content. Simple and successful.
- To seek help with a particular issue, such as tech tutorials
- Reading subreddits to remain up to date on their preferred subjects
- Establishing contact with people who have similar interests
- To acquire new knowledge
- For fun via memes, comedy subreddits, or to talk about television or movies
Your success in the discipline of computer science may depend on your ability to find the proper web resources and prepare yourself. Websites can offer beneficial resources and educational opportunities that can help you learn new skills and competences that can be applied in the workplace.
Online coding training is available for free at W3Schools. It was first made available in 1998, and although it takes its name from the World Wide Web, it is not related to the W3 Consortium. All sides of web development are covered in the courses offered by W3Schools. Free HTML templates are also published by W3Schools.
- Free English source code examples with explanations are available on the website, and most of these examples may be changed and run interactively in a live editor.
- To help the user concentrate on the displayed code, other crucial code components are concealed (developer sandbox).
- Each chapter of the lessons is dedicated to a different programming language.
- Along with the fundamentals, documentation is supplied for application-related implementation options, examples, and an emphasis on specific programming language constructs (referred to as "references").
- There is also an online forum and a YouTube channel that covers and discusses certain web development subjects.
An enjoyable, flexible, and accessible approach to get coding skills is through Codecademy, an online learning platform. To help students and instructors learn the most recent technological skills and get ready for the future, they supply a growing choice of courses, skill routes, and career options.
Students may learn by doing in interactive learning environment since they will be coding and getting immediate feedback at their own speed. Students will also be exposed to articles, films, quizzes, and projects in addition to the coding exercises to complete their education.
As a learning platform, Codecadamy offers a free pack with constrained possibilities, restricted to quizzes and projects offering the barest amount of information keeping to simply learning but no testing.
- Adaptive projects and quizzes based on the users' learning levels
- Step-by-step instructions for training and testing users on the topic
- Personalized advice based on the user's preferences
- Pro package offering a lot of practice tests, assignments, and a certificate of course completion.
- Pro Lite version starts at $13.99 per month.
A live and online learning platform called GeeksforGeeks offers a variety of programming courses with perpetual validity at the most affordable price. Learn from top coding industry professionals with in-depth information in 60+ FREE and PAID Courses, and help yourself evolve. The GeeksforGeeks internship program and interview chances at renowned MNCs are our finest add-ons.
- Free Tutorials
- Millions of Articles
- Live, Online and Classroom Courses
- Frequent Coding Competitions
- Webinars by Industry Experts
- Internship and Job Opportunities.
This blog mentions the most popular and up-to-date software development tools, together with details on their features, supported platforms, and prices, so you can decide which is ideal for you and your business.
This is an exhaustive list of the programming tools used in the creation of any contemporary project. Utilizing these modern, simple-to-use development tools will increase the productivity of you and your team.