Marketing to Gen Z and How Influencer Marketing Plays a Huge Role
What is Marketing?
Marketing refers to promoting the buying or selling of a product or service. It includes selling, advertising and delivering products or services to customer or businesses.
Marketing to Gen Z:
Marketing to Gen Z is done quite differently when compared to traditional methods of marketing. Gen Z consists of people born between the mid-1990s and early 2010s.
They are a truly digital-native generation. They have access to smartphones, and social media and they receive information from time to time (instant access). They are a more tech-focused group that values authenticity and transparency in brands.
Marketing for Gen Z requires a lot of understanding and critical thinking of the group, here are some tips for marketing to Gen Z:
- Be authentic: Gen Z values authenticity and transparency. Using traditional marketing tactics simply will not work out here because of its high budget and flashy ads and celebrity involvement. Try to keep your honesty and be genuine in your advertising. Example: Samsung.
- Build presence in social media: Gen Z spends a lot of time on social media apps like Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. So, it is crucial to have a strong presence on social media platforms. On these platforms, you can use engaging content like videos and interactive content like stories to better connect with gen z’s and to promote your brand. Example: Ather.
- Be socially conscious: Gen Z is socially conscious and cares about environmental issues like climate change, the inclusion of other races, genders, and work diversity. Show your brand’s commitment to issues like LGBTQ+ rights by uploading a video on YouTube or posting a post on Instagram. Add your support on the causes with your brand’s product for a better conversion rate. Example: Apple.
- Emphasise experience: Gen Z values experience more than anything else. So, while delivering your product make sure that it has nice packaging that provides for a great unboxing experience and designs your brand’s website in a more intuitive way for better interaction. Example: Apple.
- Use technology: Gen Z is more of a tech-focused group rather than other people. By using technologies like augmented reality (AR) and chatbots to better display and communicate about your product to Gen Z. Example: Apple.
Influencers in marketing have become a common thing in 2023. Influencer marketing is now a mainstream form of online marketing. It is a hybrid of old and new marketing tools.
It mainly focuses on collaborations between a brand and a celebrity (influencer). It has gained popularity in recent years as social media usage has increased among Gen Z and consumer distrust of traditional advertising has also increased.
It is highly effective when targeting Gen Z who have a larger market share of active social media users. Gen Z is most like to follow influencers than traditional celebrities.
There are many types of influencer collaborations, they are:
- Firstly, these influencers create content like a post or a video that promotes the brand or product in exchange for payment is known as sponsored content. Example: Oppo, OnePlus.
- Secondly, these influencers receive a commission for every sale made through their unique affiliate which is known as affiliate marketing. Example: Amazon.
- Thirdly, these influencers partner with a brand to create a long-term collaboration known as a brand partnership. Example: BTS x Samsung.
- Finally, these influencers review a product and share their honest opinion with their audience is known as product reviews. Example: YouTube channels like Unbox Therapy, MKBHD, etc.
It's crucial to consider aspects like their audience's demographics, engagement rates, and authenticity when selecting influencers to collaborate with. A cost-effective way to reach a niche audience is through micro-influencers, who have a tiny following but a highly engaged audience. Macro-influencers, on the other hand, who have a greater following, can reach a wider audience but are more expensive to deal with.
Gen Z marketing calls for a new approach that values authenticity, social responsibility, and innovation. You can develop a marketing strategy that appeals to this generation and aids in the development of enduring relationships with your clients by having a thorough awareness of their beliefs and interests.
Influencer marketing could prove to be a successful strategy for reaching a specific audience (Gen Z) and increasing brand recognition. To prevent coming off as fake or dishonest, it is crucial to make sure that collaborations are genuine and adhere to your brand's values. Brands may use the power of influencer marketing to reach and engage their target audience by selecting the right influencers and forging meaningful partnerships.